Friday, March 30, 2012

Lois Ebyism


"When starting a new piece, I let the brush play over the paper or panel, sometimes with a delicate line, sometimes with a more explosive line, sometimes with a free play of color.  When the main line or color is established, my eye tells me where the work needs more:  colors, lines, dots, a circle or enso (a form from Japanese Zen ink painting), maybe some splotches of paint or ink, to create a rhythmic and energetic whole."    Artist Statement by Lois Eby 

What better place to start when producing a non-representational piece of art in Photo shop! Especially since I was dreading this assignment--drawing is not my thing! I looked at some of Lois's work after my first attempt from my memory of her paintings.  I then copied some of the lines circles, etc. from her work, while creating my own visual interpretation.  I did all of it on one layer in Photo Shop, using these various tools: pen, brush, custom shape tool and the eraser tool when I wanted something different than what appeared or when I didn't like what I saw.  My first attempt is pretty basic but I think the second image almost succeeds.  Best of all, I had fun!
First attempt

The real Lois Eby: Song for This Day

My Eby Interpretation








No comments:

Post a Comment