Friday, March 9, 2012

Coloring Black & White

I've always liked the look of black & white photos that were colored with pencils. Photo Shop allows you to do something similar in the program by using an adjustment layer mask.  My original photo of a rose hip was part of a series on beauty and decay that I did to make November in Vermont more tolerable.  I use it here to show the masking technique.  I first changed the color photo to a b&w image in photo shop and then, using the adjustment layer mask and a brush, I painted in the rose hip and part of the stems so that they appear in color. In effect, erasing the b&w where I wanted color. The difference between photos may be subtle but I have now learned how to "color" b&w photos--a great possibility for experimenting and changing images in the future.
Original
B&W conversion

No comments:

Post a Comment