Friday, March 2, 2012

Fearless!

This post grew out of my ice loon photo.  The week's homework was to do a self portrait and I wanted to portray myself as I see myself--adventurous and willing to continue even under extreme circumstances and even though I might be scared.
The photo of myself was taken in the Grand Canyon when I was hiking at Havasupai. One of the hikes, climbing down to Mooney Falls, consisted of going out through a small opening in a cave, turning backwards and climbing down a chain ladder to the bottom.  I thought it would be interesting to make the portrait more extreme by having me climbing out of an ice cave.
The move tool allowed me to combine the photos.  I then used the eraser tool to keep only myself and part of the ladder chain in the photo. I moved what remained (me) into a position that looked natural.  I do think the ice loon looked more realistic.

Ice photo



Pat at Havasupai
Pat in the ice fields

1 comment:

  1. I found reading your blog very interesting. I feels like a complete experience, there are great photo examples along with information about your process. I really appreciate that you share your creative/fine art struggle with the use and purpose of photoshop manipulations. Even if you never use the more altering tools in your own art work it may be of use to know what they are so you can evaluate other artist's work who do use manipulation. I admire your risk taking and willingness to open yourself to new ways of working as an artist.

    ReplyDelete