Monday, March 12, 2012

Successful surreals need the camera!

My mid term project is on surreal, reversal and composite montage.  I've been practicing for the past few weeks with making these montages--some have worked and others did not.  I am having trouble with the surreal montages because the blur effect in Photo shop doesn't seem to stand up to the effect when you take the same picture--sharp and then blurred in-camera.  I have been using the gaussion blur as prescribed by Andre Gallant in his book "Dreamscapes" and still do not think the final result measures up to ones I have done in the past using my camera to obtain two photos. I think in some ways it just looks blurred.   Here are some samples of the use of Photoshop to get the surreal montage by duplicating and blurring the original.
original photo

surreal montage




original

surreal montage
And here is a surreal montage from the past that I did in-camera.  I do not have the original photos but the photo looks like a soft painting and is not blurred!



No comments:

Post a Comment